Copy and paste small data sets into R

How can I embed a small data set into my R code? That was the question I came across today, when I prepared my talk about Dynamical Systems in R with simecol for the forthcoming Cologne R user group meeting.

I wanted to add all the R code of the talk to the last slide. That's easy, but the presentation makes use of a small data set of 3 columns and 21 rows. Surely there must be an elegant solution that I can embed the data into the R code, without writing x <- c(x1, x2,...).

Of course there is a solution, but let's look at the data first. It shows the numbers of trapped lynx and snowshoe hares recorded by the Hudson Bay company in North Canada from 1900 to 1920.


Data sourced from Joseph M. Mahaffy. Original data believed to be published
in E. P. Odum (1953), Fundamentals of Ecology, Philadelphia, W. B. Saunders.
Another source with data from 1845 to 1935 can be found on D. Hundley's page.

Read more »